Monday, November 15, 2010

We Had A Great Week

I do a bit of mystery shopping from time to time. We went to Georgia for a few days. Rick had the opportunity to golf with an old friend whom he had not seen in 7 years. We then went to south Georgia for a couple of days, then, back to Atlanta for another night. Mom kept the dog for us. We are going to Michigan next week for Thanksgiving to see "Mom." Rick is from Detroit. His brother is hosting Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday. It's a heck of a drive, about 12 hours of non-stop driving. I'm really dreading it, but, will do it for him.

You will not believe what happened at a restaurant in Columbus, GA. In fact, I will tell you the name, River City Grill. It is independently owned, not part of a chain. Rick ordered wings and when he got them, they were so overcooked and dry that they actually crunched when he bit into them. Now, I've got to tell you. Rick NEVER sends food back for fear that they will do something untoward with his food in retaliation. Even so, since I was enjoying my meal, he sent the wings back. The mananger came to our table and said she would personally check on them to make sure they were right. Shortly, our server came out with the wings. She said, "Just so you know, if you taste anything funny, I spit in your food." Well, Rick refused to eat them. When we left, I inadvertently left my glasses behind. On the sidewalk, I realized I didn't have them. Rick went back inside and our server was standing at the host stand, holding my glasses. Rick took them from her and said, "just so you know, I didn't leave you a tip because you said you spit in my food." She replied with "F*** off."

Have you ever had something like that happen to you? It is probably, no, certainly, the worst restaurant experience I have ever had and I do some restaurant mystery shopping in addition to us going out a couple of times of week. I'm 54 years old. I've never seen anything like this.

I went back to our hotel and related all this to the general manager. I told him that he would do well to never recommend this restaurant to any of his guests. He was appalled. I wrote a letter to the owner to describe our experience. I told him that I had made the GM of the hotel aware of this and to steer his guests to another restaurant. I also told him that I know his restaurant has a facebook page, and that I didn't know anything about facebook, but, I was going to learn about it just so that I could post a comment about our visit. I'm awaiting a reply. Somehow, I think Catherine is going to have a bad day tomorrow when that letter lands on the owner's desk.

I guess I can end by saying that after 54 years, I had not seen it all.

1 comment:

jd said...

I don't know what to say except, "Wow!" The waitress should not have said or done those things to you or Rick and I'm sorry that happened to you.