Monday, November 29, 2010

What Am I Thankful For? That Thanksgiving Is Over!

We went to Michigan to visit Rick's mother and brother. We had dinner at brother and sister-in-law's house. Very nice. They are likable people for northerners! We went to the island where Rick was raised. You reach it by ferry. We stopped at a restaurant on the island and had a window table. Rick pointed out the window to another island across the river. It was CANADA! I was within 1/4 mile from Canada. Closest I've ever been. Been to Tijuana, Mexico before. Never thought I'd go far enough north to see Canada.

Winter is about to hit. It only got up to about 48 degrees today. I missed Thanksgiving Day at home; it was 73 degrees. In Michigan, the high that day was 29.

We are really trying to use more stockpile. We took 4 boxes of food and household cleaners to his mother last week. You can hardly tell it's gone.

There's a little, tiny town in TN; Loudon. In Loudon, there is a Monterrey mushroom farm. You can get 4# bag of beautiful fresh mushrooms for $4 at the guardshack. I stopped by on the way home and picked up a bag. Rick was impressed. Really, the 8 oz. box of Monterrey mushrooms at the grocery are more than $2, maybe even $3. Now, we just have to USE them!

We're thinking of taking a winery vacation in the spring. There are a lot of little wineries popping up all over Tennessee. In fact, the Dept. of Agriculture for the state has a website with all of them listed. I'm thinking of a 4 or 5 day tour through east Tennessee and checking out all the wineries in the area. Should be quite a trip. Of course, about 75 miles from my house is the Jack Daniels distillery. They have tours every day. Great place to visit. No free samples. It's a dry county. When the distillery hosts a fish fry for travel agents and such, they have to transport all the liquor into the next county to open it. No joke! Liquor laws in Tennessee are old, old, old. In GA, you can buy wine in the grocery store. Thankfully, I live 7 miles from the GA line and can go to Bi-Lo to pick up a few bottles. Of course, we use the liquor stores nearby, but, it's a novelty to be able to buy wine in a Bi-Lo.

Well, it's time for me to buckle down and make Christmas baskets for all my clients. I have all the baskets, coffee, cocoa, chocolates, and candles. I just need to get busy. I like to have them all delivered by Dec. 15. Yes, they're homemade and you can tell, but, my clients seem to love them. I know a few of my paralegals like certain things and I fill up their baskets with Snickers or Dove candies.

I haven't had a real Christmas tree in over 30 years. Rick insists on a real tree this year, so, we are going to be out shopping this weekend for a tree. My tree is all Pillsbury Doughboy. The lights are 3" doughboys, the ornaments are the doughboy in different poses. You press the belly and he giggles. Need new hearing aid batteries for the decorations. They don't giggle anymore! I'm looking forward to a real Christmas with someone this year. The stockings are already out.

I'm glad to be back home. Traveling is nice, but, getting back in your own bed is wonderful.

No comments: