Saturday, August 8, 2009

How Do I Handle This "Rebate?"

I learned of the Eight O'Clock Accumul8 program last year. When you join, you save your coffee bags and enter the product information on the website and earn points. I finally drank enough coffee to earn a $25 Visa GC. Now, usually, when I have a store-specific GC, I count that as coupons used when I redeem. Also, when I receive a rebate from a MIR item, I deduct that amount from what I have spent on groceries for a "net spend" amount.

This $25 GC can be used anywhere, not just on groceries, but, a 1/2 a tank of gas, maybe! Should I count this as income in my overall budget or should I subtract that amount from the amount of grocery money spent, since it did actually come from a grocery item, and is something like a rebate?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I should count this $25? I'm probably going to buy 2 large bags of cat food with it, so, maybe how I spend it matters in relation to how I count it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I used my points for the same GC.

I would only count it towards your grocery income if you are going to use it to pay for groceries. If you use it for gas, then don't.

It isn't a "true" rebate.

vickib52 said...

I think you are right. I may give myself a night out and use it at a restaurant.

Speaking of Eight O'Clock coffee, do you still have in your pantry any bags with codes that don't fit the current template? I've sent several in for a replacement code and when I check up on them after several weeks, I'm told that they never received them. I think it odd, to say the least.