Sunday, February 28, 2010

I'm On A Roll!

Look at my totals for the year. If I can keep my spending at $83 per month, I will easily make my goal for the year. As it stands right now, I'm about a month "ahead" of myself.

Yesterday, I was able to do the "3-a-day." The only problem is that it makes so much food that I eat leftovers for a few days. I just can't quite keep up with the "3-a-day" rule, but, I'm really trying.

I had a brainstorm this morning. I have leftover mac & cheese and pinto beans. I also have some taco seasoned ground beef in the fridge. How about mixing some ground beef into the mac? It's already nicely seasoned and would punch up the mac & cheese.

I've had a really big mess in the house for a few days. I have some shelving that snaps together and I have had it up for years, storing my food in the open shelves. Well, I had some work done on my house a few days ago and one of the workmen needed to get to my heat/air vent in the floor. The shelving was just barely on the edge of the vent. He tried to push it over, and because these are "snap-together" shelves, the whole thing just collapsed! He did not tell me what he'd done and I only found the mess after they were gone. I've been working since midnight last night to put the shelves back together. Of course, I had to remove all the groceries, putting them all over the house, until I could get the shelving back up. I've been working for more than 8 hours and still not quite finished with the work. This time, I made sure that the shelving didn't cover the vent so that when he comes back, he can finish the work on the vent. One of the advantages of this problem is that I've been able to get a good look at all the food items on the shelf.

Cat food alert! Someone sent me enough Purina cat chow weight circles to redeem for (4) $6 checks on future purchases. That is such a gigantic help to me. I have two cats in the house and about five outside and in the basement. It fluctuates from season to season and whenever females are having babies, but, it has held steady at five for quite a while now. I've been missing a cat for about 3 months, which is about the time I first saw the coyote that apparently lives on my property. I see him all the time. We came face to face in the yard one day. I was frozen. I couldn't move, couldn't get away, and didn't want to spook him into attacking. He finally decided to trot away. You may think I live out in the country, but, no, I live less than 2 miles of the courthouse in a city of 200,000. I mean, lots are 50 feet wide and the whole street is lined with houses. I have some wooded area behind my house and I have seen his trail into the woods. Here's the kicker; the Wildlife Resource Agency will not come out to kill a coyote and if I kill him, I will be cited to court for discharging a firearm in the city limits. How's that for a "Catch 22?" Not to mention that all I have is a snub-nosed .38. I'd have to practically be close enough to kiss him to hit him with a little thing like that. I do use hollow-point bullets, so, if I hit him, no problem, he's down. It's just getting close enough, and besides that, who walks around with a gun in their hand all the time?

One more thing. I'm going to beat this into your brain. Do you have a wallet full of gift cards? CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATES!! I almost lost $30 at Office Depot this weekend. I "found" it yesterday and it expires today. That's much too close for comfort. You save up your MyPoints or other survey sites and redeem for a GC. Then, you forget you have it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How rude that the workman didn't tell you what happened! My hubby is contractor and there is no excuse for that. I wouldn't let him come back if it were me. It did remind though that I recently got a drawer unit at Walmart. I love it because the tubs (drawers) keep the dust off everything. It seems to be easier to see everything in drawers rather than on a shelf too. I would have said the opposite before I bought it. It felt like a big splurge spending $40, but I love it!
Wow, someone sent you enough weight circles for 4 checks. I was able to join the club for both dogs and cats because I rescue so many. I have yet to be able to redeem for anything because you have to have 250 lbs first. It takes a bit for me to get there, but I will.

vickib52 said...

Well, Shell, the contractor was back today and I told him what happened. He apologized and said the guy was probably just afraid to say anything. It's O.K. It made me take a good look at what I've got on the shelves, anyway. I know what you mean by the drawers. About two years ago, I won a $400 Visa GC from a sweepstakes and I spent some of it at Lowe's,buying 3-drawer shelving. I love them, although, I sometimes forget to look in them for food! I have one for rice, one for potato boxes and pouches, one for cake mixes, etc. and one for coffee. I'd have more if I had room in my house for them!

The Purina program is great. I think I mentioned one time that when I was a child, 45 years ago, I was "in charge" of saving the weight circles and sending them in. My dad bred hunting dogs. Yes, the Purina program is at least 50 years old.