Monday, April 13, 2009

A Disaster In The Kitchen

I was in the mood to cook today. Started off by making a loaf of raisin bread. I opened a new jar of honey, so, one item from stockpile. The bread turned out to be a small, hard lump. I cut into it; it was not done in the middle but burnt on the outside. Score one for the birds. I had purchased a Boboli pizza crust the other day. Had a coupon, no other reason. So, the bread's not worth eating, nixes the idea of a sandwich, so, I make a pizza. Boboli crust was nice and firm. I took a pouch of Ragu out of stockpile. I also took some pepperoni out of the freezer for the pizza. I'm not going to tell you how long that pepperoni has been in my freezer, you might freak out. So, another item from stockpile. When I bought the Boboli, I knew I would need shredded cheese, so, I bought that. Put the pizza together, put it in the oven until the cheese was nice and bubbly. Crust was so dough-y that I couldn't hold a slice. Also, a fork wouldn't cut it, it was so soft. Tasted terrible. Score one for the cats. I now have a loaf of white bread in the bread machine. If this doesn't turn out well, I'm not going to cook for a week!

I'm sure when Paula Deen started cooking, she made a few flops. I'm not so bummed out by everything turning out poorly as I am that I still haven't had enough to eat! I'm going to take a nap and I'd better have an edible loaf of bread when I wake up!

Oh, yeah, I had several slices of bacon in the fridge that had been there for several days. Even in Tupperware, it doesn't last forever. So, I cooked it all and put it in a baggie and stuck it back in the fridge. Maybe if the bread turns out, I can make a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich later. If the bread doesn't turn out right, I'm going to give up for the day. I can eat the bacon in the morning with some oatmeal. That's one thing I've never ruined. How can you mess up oatmeal? You put a 1/3 cup of quick oats in a bowl, stir in 2/3 cup water, and stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes. I'd have to be a real idiot to go wrong with that.

No comments: