Monday, April 20, 2009

I Think This Is Working

It's been relatively easy to find 3 things from stockpile each day that I can use immediately. I just have to make a conscious effort to do it. Today, so far, it's been paper plates and bowls. I'll pull something out for dinner, maybe more than one. That would be great.

I think I've mentioned that I've lost a lot of weight in the past couple of years. I had a lot of very nice clothes in the XL, 1X, XXL, and 2X range. I got busy a few days ago, laundered everything, ironed what needed, made sure there were no missing buttons, broken zippers, ripped seams, etc. and packaged them up. While I was at it, I boxed up a lot of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, toothbrushes, toothpaste, women's products, and soap. I took it all down to the rescue mission today. The head of the women's ministry was thrilled to get it. She told me that she had 11 women in the full-time rehab program and another half dozen who often came to spend the night. She said that the majority of women with whom she has the most contact wear just those sizes.

If I am any measure of an average woman, I take for granted that I will always have a bottle of shampoo or a toothbrush or a bar of soap. These homeless and marginalized women don't even know where their next meal is coming from, much less having their own bottle of shampoo. I hope that I have caused one woman today to feel loved and cared for.

I received a little surprise in the mail today. Neilson wants to know what I watch on TV and with the TV diary they sent, there were also 5 crisp, new $1 bills. I will probably keep up with my TV watching and send it back in. I know they give away a lot of money to people who won't follow up. I guess that $5 just makes me feel obligated!

No comments: