Friday, July 10, 2009

Computer Crash! AAAGGGGHHH!!!

Thankfully, I posted my year-to-date totals on June 30. The next day, my laptop hard drive crashed and I lost all data. I am trying to re-create some of my spreadsheet, but, all I have to go on is that I had spent a net out-of-pocket of $679.44 through June 30 and my coupon, store cards, and store-specific GC total was $2135.65. I'll pick up from there. I don't know how much I had received in rebates, but, I had adjusted my net oop to reflect those numbers.

When I picked up my laptop, I asked the tech about how long to expect a laptop hard drive to last. He said about 3 years. I came home and happened to run across the date that I purchased this computer. The hard drive lasted 3 years and 29 days. I guess he's right!

Most of you who are reading this are members of HCW. I had a spreadsheet for all my trades with everyone's name and address and what was traded. That's all gone. I've got to start all over with that.

You know, I have become much more dependent on computers than I ever realized. Losing all this data has really left me in the dark in many areas. I kept track of how much I spent on gas and figured the mileage for each tank of gas. I guess that's not such a big loss, but, it just gives you an idea of what kinds of things we depend on and how it can all go away in one puff of wind.

Well, onward we go. I have only bought cat food this month, so, I'm at about $10 so far. I have a stack of receipts from the time my computer died. I may find one or two more receipts that I've forgotten, but, it won't be much.

I never thought I would need to back up my information. Hah! What a lesson I learned!

No comments: