Friday, September 25, 2009

I'm Really On Track This Month--Yea!

I'm a bit under $50 so far this month. I have been using a lot of the $1/2 Nabisco Qs for 4 oz. -big sizes. Rite Aid and CVS have had them on sale for .99 and $1 each. With the Qs, it breaks down to a lot less than buying a one pound size of crackers, ritz, oreos, etc.

I think I'll go to Target tomorrow or Sunday for a big bag of cat food. I have a $3.50 manufacturer's Q + I received a $2 Target Q for Purina Cat Chow when I was there yesterday to buy a bridal gift. I think the 14 lb. or 16 lb. bag is about $12.50 or thereabouts, so, with $5.50 off, I'll be doing quite well.

My favorite grocery store has a turkey promo every year, starting about 8 weeks before Thanksgiving (it's close, people!). With each $35 order, you get a turkey point and you need 7 to redeem for your free turkey. I've been hoarding my free Qs so that I can get a couple of turkey points without spending any money. After that, I guess I'll do a bit of stockpiling. How long can you keep a frozen turkey? I still have last year's!

I must confess that I have not adhered to the "3-a-day" rule for using stockpile. Today, though, I managed it. I'm in the midst of cooking a big meal; pork chops (Hormel, on a great sale), green beans (B2G1F), apples (BOGOF), and scallopped potatoes (Betty Crocker, free with a doubled Q). I think I have about $7.50 invested in it and it will feed me for 3-4 days. I've heard of a woman who has a website called "fivedollarmeals" or something like that. She feeds a family of 4 for no more than $5 a night. I'm not quite that good, but, I'm closing in on her. It really is harder to cook for one than it is to cook for 4. I know that I throw out some things because they've just been around too long.

I got a bit of a scare today. One of the "strays" that hangs out here was lying in the middle of the road, kind of twisted. I thought she'd been hit by a car. I walked closer to her and she didn't move. A car went by and she still didn't move. When I got to her, I was sure she was hurt. I gently picked her up and off she went! She apparently just likes the feel of asphalt! She's outside the front door right now and seems fine.

My dad is doing pretty well. The report he got from the doctor the other day was not too encouraging. His tumor is still inoperable. He is continuing on an oral chemo treatment every day. He's determined not to miss a home game of the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville, a little more than 100 miles away. He has a friend going with him tomorrow, so, I get a day off.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Your doing Great and I'm glad your dad is enyoying himself.:)