Monday, December 22, 2008

I'm going out on a limb for 2009

This seems to me to be dramatic, considering all the cats I feed, but, I am going to keep my grocery spending under $1,200 for the coming year. With aggressive couponing and careful planning, I think I can do it. I see a lot of mac & cheese in my future!

Cat food runs about $34 per month. My non-food spending has dwindled to practically nil as I have years' worth of shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, facial cleansers, etc. I believe I have at least 8 months' worth of toilet paper. I will have to start looking for good Qs for that soon. I think I probably have enough paper towels for a year. The one big thing I have to buy is pads and liquid for my Swiffer WetJet. Proctor and Gamble has some pretty poor Qs for those, if at all. I'm not going back to the mop and bucket, though. My back just can't stand it.

I have a wok (if I can find it!) and I would like to get better at stir-fry meat and veggies. I have soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and such things to last for years. I was able to get 5 packages of frozen stir-fry veggies free with Qs a few weeks ago. I have an ample supply of rice, so, this seems like a good combination to use what I have. If any of you have a favorite, I'd appreciate some tips. I like garlic. I cheat, though. I buy the minced garlic in a jar. I love to cook with garlic, hate to handle it. Bad combination.

O.K. Hang on for the ride. I'm going to make it through 2009 on $1,200. To tell you the truth, I'm scaring myself as I write this. I can do it, though.

No comments: