Thursday, December 4, 2008

I'm up to day 5 and have not given in.

Well, this is the 5th day of K-Mart's super doubles and I so far resisted. I'm sure I could go a bit wild with all my $1, $1.50, and a few $2 Qs and really feel like thumping my chest over my good deals; however, I am NOT going.

I bought a few cans of veggies at Food Lion the other day. I spent $5.72 and used $3 in Qs. That was Dec. 2nd, I think. I had a $1 FL Q for 6 of their house brand of veggies. Also had a $2 FL Q on a bag of salad. Definitely a good deal.

I have been eating in every day. A couple of nights ago, I made some cornbread and opened some pinto beans and sweet potatoes. The next night, I added brocolli to the leftovers. I'm trying to eat better. I think I told you the doctor put me on a megadose of vitamin D. I also have to take a B-12 shot every 3 weeks or so. Since my surgery in 2002, I have had a problem absorbing nutrients from what I eat.

I have an added incentive to cut back on groceries. My electric company offers a budget payment plan in which you pay the same amount every month, regardless of how much electricity you've used, then, July is the "even-up" month. If you've overpaid, you get a credit. If you owe more, you pay the extra that month. They base your monthly payment by how much you used in the past year. I had been paying $73 a month all of last year through July. I ended up owing an additional $75 in July. O.K. so they need to adjust my monthly bill upward a bit so that doesn't happen again. I would have thought that $10 more would have been sufficient. No, they jacked it up to $90 a month. That was in August. Now, starting this month, they have jacked my payment up to $115 per month. Just since July, my electric bill has gone up $42 a month. Yikes!

I'll be out of town this weekend. My friends are taking me to New Orleans for my birthday. I'm hoping to find warmer weather there! We are all budget-minded people, so, we will not be visiting Emeril's or Paul Prudhomme's.

No comments: