Saturday, October 3, 2009

My "Free" Turkey Strategy

Bi-Lo, where I do the majority of my shopping, has a promo every fall for a free turkey for Thanksgiving. In the past, it has required $35 minimum purchases 7 times during the promo period. I'm hoping those details don't change this year.

Here's my strategy; I'm holding onto $112 in free Qs. I will use them $35 at a time to get a turkey "point." That's 3 points without spending anything except tax. I have to buy 2 large bags of cat food soon. Combine that with the balance of the free Qs, that's another point. I do actually have to pay for groceries every now and then, so, only 3 more $35 purchases and I will have a free turkey.

What does your store do during this holiday period? Are there any special promos for you? Would you spend $35 a week for 7 weeks to get a free turkey? Am I too hung up on the "free" part of this deal that I don't see the downside?

Oh, I heard a helpful hint lately. As you know, the directions on the turkey always say to roast the turkey breast side up. I was told to turn it over. The juices drip down into the breast and keep it nice and juicy. You know, usually by the time the rest of the turkey is done, the breast is all dried out. I'm going to try it next time I roast a turkey. Along the same line, when cooking a chicken in a crock pot, put it breast side down in the pot. Also, make 4 or 5 little aluminum balls, place in the bottom of the pot, and your chicken won't be mushy from cooking in the accumulated juices. I've tried that. Worked great.

No comments: