Monday, November 30, 2009

I Did A Great Job In November

I joined a group of people over on HCW in a challenge for the month of November. I said I could do it within $50. I actually only spent $31.47 on groceries for the month! Woo-hoo! I think I still have about $48 for December to come in at budget for the year.

I finished making my Christmas baskets for my lawyers, paralegals, and secretaries. I usually pick up baskets at thrift stores and yard sales all through the year and paint them myself in red, green, and gold. I cheated a little this year. Last year, after Christmas, I found some holiday buckets @ 75% off. I think they are usually $1.29 or so. Anyway, I was able to get 25 of them and only needed 22 this year, so, the fact that I hadn't haunted the thrift stores and yard sales didn't come back to bite me. Anyway, there's a pack of gourmet coffee, 2 envies of chocolate w/ flavors, and lots of Christmas wrapped individual chocolate candies. Each has a candy cane or two and a big poinsettia is clipped to the side of the bucket. Some glittery garland is strung across the top and little colored stars and candy cane cut-outs are sprinkled throughout. I figured everything I use to make these, purchased at retail value, comes to about $8 each. Of course, you know I didn't spend anywhere near that much, right? I think I may have spent about $60-$70 for everything.

My dad and I are going out to dinner together tomorrow. I'm performing a secret shop and it's a great excuse to have some private time with him. I think he is quite discouraged by the news he received last week. I can't say that I blame him! It hit me pretty hard, too.

I cancelled my Florida trip for my birthday. I need to be close to home. Dad needs me to drive him to chemo and radiation. I don't think I would enjoy FL too much knowing what's going on at home.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Dinner with your dad sounds nice. I know that he really appreciates you driving him to his treatments.

Blessings to you and your dad,
Tammy

Tammy said...

BTW...Great Job on your challenge over at HCW.

I didn't make it but I'm ok with that.

vickib52 said...

Well, Tammy, I'm feeling pretty cocky about feeding myself and up to 10 cats each day. I'm looking forward to being with my dad tomorrow night. He is spending more and more time in the bed. I worry about that. He's always had such a "gung ho" spirit. I don't blame him for feeling down, but, I wish his inner man would rise up and take control.

Tammy said...

Hey Vicki,

Maybe you could bring out your dad's competitive side by challenging him to one of his favorite games? Dominos...Mexican Train is my favorite. Sometimes giving them (men) a problem to solve, also gets them going.