Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Give me a hand. I'm using up a lot of stockpile.

I usually tell you about my dinners that I make from stockpile items, but, there's several eating events throughout the day when I also use stockpile. I've been making tuna and egg salad for sandwiches for a few days. I have plenty of eggs from the last big sale and tuna like you wouldn't believe on the shelf. Of course, there's cereal for breakfast (I don't really want to think about those 20 boxes I bought recently), sandwich stuff for lunch and soft drinks and tea to drink all day. Tonight, I was going to make a veggie dinner, but, at the last minute decided to fry some bacon and put it in the baked beans. I had that, peas, mac & cheese, applesauce, and some of yesterday's coconut cream pie. I took quite a bit next door before I ate. I also made some killer corn muffins. Um, so sweet and crunchy. I use Miracle Maize Sweet Cornbread Mix. I always have a good Q for that; the only bad thing about it is that I can only find it at Wal-Mart and I HATE WAL-MART!!! The cashiers' heads always explode when I have Qs. I had one recently to leave me at the register for 5 minutes while she ran down someone to allow her to try to scan my Qs. I guess when you pay peanuts, you only get monkeys to work for you.

I made a chicken dish last night with pineapples and soy sauce, used a little cornstarch to thicken the sauce, and served over a bed of rice. I'll bet I have 50 pounds of rice in my house. You know, I could try a rice pudding. I've never done that.

I don't always have to have meat for dinner. I am just as happy with a complete veggie meal. Don't misunderstand; I'm not a vegitarian. I just don't think it's not a meal without meat.

I feel like I am doing really well using stockpile items. I think I mentioned that my "kids," my niece, nephews, and families, are all getting file boxes full of useful stuff out of stockpile. I think I used about $600 worth and you can't see in my house where anything is missing. As far as I can remember, the only "food" I have purchased this month is a loaf of bread and a half gallon of milk. Everything else I've had for this first week of the month is out of stockpile.

I only buy skim milk to drink and sometimes that doesn't work too well in recipes. It occurred to me the other day to use a can of evaporated milk when a recipe called for milk. I have plenty of that and it's a small enough amount that I can use it all within 2 or 3 days.

I fear tomorrow night's dinner will be a repeat of sorts. I have plenty of mac & cheese and peas left, so, I'll ramble around in the pantry to find a couple of more things to add to it for dinner. I see a tuna sandwich in my near future, too. I absolutely will not eat tuna that's been in the fridge for more than four days. It's not worth the risk.

I wanted to make a pineapple upside down cake today. I have everything for it except the cherries and I don't think I'll miss them, but, I'm still working on that coconut cream pie from yesterday. I guess I'll put the pineapple on hold for a couple of days.

I was looking around the washing machine today and I believe I have enough detergent and softener to last about 8 months. I have several bottles of bleach and I don't use it too often . I never use it for household cleaning, although I know many people do. The cats are set for at least a couple of weeks. Everything seems to be under control.

I promise to "confess" when I shop. I won't hide anything from you. Thankfully, I have several bags of Dove Promise chocolate candy, so, I won't have to sneak out and buy any. I'll tell you what's really a good, no, great, chocolate, and that is Hershey's Bliss. As the CVS manager said, "Don't waste that candy on kids. That's grown-up candy."

No comments: