Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Another Complete Meal From Stockpile

As I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to gain a bit of weight. My doctor wants me to gain 10 pounds. I'm not sure I can, but, I'm working on it. To that end, I've decided that if I am going to have a substantial meal, I'm going to have to prepare it in the middle of the day. By dinnertime, I'm just too tired or don't care about cooking and eating.

I was rambling through the refrigerator and stockpile yesterday to see what looked like a good meal. I had some leftover cornbread in the fridge from something I'd made last week. I thought about making some chicken cornbread dressing; however, my last 2 attempts failed miserably. I called my aunt for help. Since my grandmother died, my aunt has become the de facto matriarch of the family. She helped me out with the details of the dressing and I found that I had absolutely everything on hand to make it. With that, I opened a couple of cans of veggies to go with it. To my complete surprise, the chicken cornbread dressing turned out almost exactly right! One tip she gave me that probably saved the day; if your dressing mix is too thin, add some instant mashed potatoes to absorb the extra liquid. I had to resort to that and used the remainder of the chicken broth and instant potatoes to make some mashed potatoes to go with the meal. Everything I used yesterday was obtained at little cost; the canned chicken was a weekly special + double Qs. The canned veggies and chicken broth, also weekly specials with Qs, and the instant mashed potatoes free with double Qs. The upside, or downside, I'm not sure! is that I will be eating this for a few days. I suppose the upside is that I don't have to prepare anything or think about putting a meal together, the downside being that I'm going to have the same thing for a few days. Either way, it was a very inexpensive meal and substantial enough to at least maintain my weight. I think when I warm some for supper tonight, I'm going to add some cranberry sauce. I found that at Walgreens for .42 ea. right after Christmas. I guess no one buys it except at the holidays. It was in their Christmas clearance items.

Oh, that reminds me; at 2 different Walgreens I found a bottle of Karo Syrup for a dime in the Christmas clearance bin. Since when is that a seasonal item?

No comments: