Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year, Clean Slate

I love New Year's Day. It's the day I can say, "All mistakes are in the past, now I can only look forward." The first 6 months of last year, I spent way too much on groceries, most of it on non-food items, chasing the "great" deals at CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreens. We delude ourselves when we say, "Wow! Look how much money I saved!" Well, the contrary is more true; it should be, "Wow! Look at all the money I spent!" Let's face it, when you spend money, even if you are getting a "deal," you are spending, not saving.

I have been couponing for over 35 years and I am so guilty of thinking I'm saving tons of money when I am actually spending tons of money. Last June, I decided to turn the tide and start using all those things of which I thought were a great "deal" and start using it up. A stockpile is only as good as the amount you use of it.

I have learned a lot from Hot Coupon World in the past year. The best tip I probably garnered in all the chatter is how to maximize my prescription medications by transferring them around the drug and grocery stores that offer an incentive to get your business. I have 2 prescriptions that only cost $8 or $9 each and if I can find a coupon for a gift card for transferring, I can make $50 every time I move them around. Now, THAT is saving money!

As I told you a few days ago, I am budgeting $1,200 for all grocery purchases for 2009. That includes cat food and all consumables that you would normally buy at a grocery or drug store. I will use free GC and rebate money in addition to the $1,200. To begin the month, I have on hand $30.77 CVS GC and $46.57 Rite Aid GC. I have 2 prescriptions I am going to transfer to Walgreens during January that will net $50 GC. I plan to move them again in February to Bi-Lo where I will net $40 GC. I am expecting a $20 MasterCard debit card soon from a rebate. I bought my dad a bluetooth for Christmas and got a great deal on it besides the GC. So, you can see that I have a plan and I owe the good people at HCW for teaching me how to do this.

I am looking forward to the new year and to see just how well I can use my stockpile. I'm always open to helpful hints from my readers and new recipes for my stockpile items. Several months ago, I learned many ways to use French's fried onions. You'd think anyone as old as I am would have known that, but, I didn't. That's why I need you to help me.

I'm wishing for all of you a very happy new year and good fortune through the next 12 months. If you are a member of HCW, you are already on your way to good fortune!

No comments: