Sunday, January 11, 2009

I Really Blew It Yesterday

Since I am a penny-pincher when buying groceries, you would assume, and you'd be right, that I am frugal in other ways, as well. One thing that I do is collect frequent flyer and hotel points to use for free, or nearly free, vacations. I was able to fly my aunt with me to Hawai'i in 2007, staying for a full week on Waikiki Beach in a beautiful resort, for zero money. Oh, excuse me, I had to pay a $10 tax on each free air ticket. We even received free breakfast every day at the hotel. I have a big trip coming up this summer. I will be on vacation for 10 days and I have "paid" for 9 of those 10 nights with points, as well as the airline ticket. I will have to pay for a rental car, but, I have a discount on that.

I tell you this to lead into the "thing" I did yesterday. I found on the internet that I could order a case of Fijiwater for 40% off, delivered to my door, no delivery charge, no tax, and, here's the kicker, I would receive 2,500 Delta SkyMiles. That was the deal closer. I couldn't get my credit card out fast enough for that offer! It is a subscription for home delivery, but, I can cancel the subscription after the first delivery and I will still receive the Delta SkyMiles.

My only defense for falling for this offer is that I'm a points junkie. I don't think there's a 12-step program for that, either.

No comments: