Thursday, January 15, 2009

Big Oven's Leftover Wizard

I'm afraid I do not have the URL for this, but, googling will get you there. I made a stir-fry a few nights ago and had some rice left over. I usually throw it away, but, this time I didn't. I was determined to find a way to use it. I used the Leftover Wizard to find a rice pudding using already cooked, leftover rice. Since I have a stocked pantry, I had everything I needed for the recipe. It called for 2 cups of milk and I was out of that, but, I used a can of evaporated milk that I had on hand. I just took it out of the oven a bit ago, and it says to serve at room temperature, so, I'm going to stick it in the fridge and bring it out tomorrow to use. I would think with milk and eggs in it, it won't last if I leave it out until then.

It's dreadfully cold here tonight. I think it's supposed to be 7 degrees F by morning. I leave a window open in the basement for the cats to get in and out. I know it will be much better for my house and my pipes if I close that window, but, I can't shut them out. I'll just have to grin and bear it so that they will have a relatively warm place to ride out this cold spell. The water heater is down there and I suppose a couple of them could sit on it and keep their little tail feathers warm!

I found a recipe for ground beef vegetable soup from the Everyday Cheapskate. Instead of chunks of meat, you brown ground beef and continue with vegetable soup from there. I looked over the recipe today and it looks like I have everything on hand for it, even down to a couple of stalks of celery. There's something comforting in a dish like this, especially in very cold weather. I guess I will make it tomorrow. Oh, yeah, besides the ground beef and frozen veggies, it requires elbow macaroni. A week or two ago, my store had a special in which I bought 2 jars of Ragu (with a Q, of course) and received a 1 lb. box of elbow macaroni. Great timing!

No comments: