Saturday, January 24, 2009

I've Promised To Be Honest With You

I would like to hide some of my purchases when I go over limit, but, I've got to be completely honest with you. Food Lion had Purina Cat Chow BOGOF this week. I couldn't pass up a deal like that. I believe I have enough cat food now that I will not have to buy any in February. Also, I bought some things, not necessarily necessities, but, things I would eat in the near future. I spent a total of $43.12 today and used $27.51 in Qs and bonus card savings. I don't have the exact figures at hand right now, but, I've spent about $125 this month, but, I have logged in over $200 in Qs and bonus card savings. I believe I can "make up" the overspending next month if I don't have to buy any cat food. I am going to get a $2.49 rebate from some of the things I bought today. I know, that's not really a drop in the bucket, but, I find a bit of comfort in that.

The homemade veggie beef soup went over well at my parents' house. I also got around to baking that carrot cake I've been meaning to do for a while. I ate one slice. It's really all I wanted. My parents got the rest of it. My dad went at it backwards; he ate the cake first, then finding he was still hungry, tried some of the soup. I guess that old saying has some merit; "life is short, eat dessert first."

I don't know about the rest of the country, but, fresh produce is going through the roof here. I bought 3 bananas for .74; eek! .25 per piece. I bought one baking potato, medium sized, and it was $1.36 for ONE POTATO! For the price of two baking potatoes, I could get a bag of potato chips. Wouldn't be as good for me, but, that's the comparison I made.

I admit I bought canned pinto beans rather than a much less expensive bag of beans to cook myself. The reason is that my bean cooking skills are not that great. I can turn out a great pot of beans one day and completely flop the next. I also had some high-value Qs for the canned beans and I'm just guessing that by the time I bought a bag of beans and the ham hock to cook in it, I would come out about even.

I'll be eating veggie soup for the next couple of days, at least. I know it's not polite to pat myself on the back, but, it really is good.

You know a while back when I mentioned that I thought I had about 20 boxes of Kraft mac & cheese? Well, I must have used a lot more than I thought because I only have one left. I do have several boxes of elbow macaroni and a loaf of Velveeta, so, I'm still in good shape for mac/cheese. I like to have that when I make an all veggie meal. It's filling and looks pretty good next to something green. Gotta color coordinate those veggies!

No comments: