Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I'm Feeling More Like Cooking Lately

I've got tomorrow's menu all planned; Hormel Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, and peas. All either BOGOF w/ Q or double Q or some such great deal. Still have the cake from Sunday. The amount I will be preparing will make at least 3 dinners and all for less than $4. That's getting it down. There's a woman who publishes a newsletter or something called, "$5 a day dinners." She says she feeds a family of 4 dinner on no more than $5 per day. Oh, man! If I could squeeze 4 dinners out of a sawbuck! That would be sweet!

That said, I still maintain that cooking for one is a lot harder than cooking for a family. I have to eat the same thing for 3-4 days before it goes bad to get my money's worth. Wouldn't you get tired of that?

I hate to bore you, but, it's cat food time again. I think I have enough for about 4 days. I was hoping to stretch it out to February 1, but, I think I'm going to be short a day or two. I'm also low on cat litter. My cousin gave me a $25 Wal-Mart GC for Christmas, so, as much as I hate to shop at WM, I'll go there and get food and litter and use my GC. I wish I had some Qs for these items, but, I don't think there are any out there for my brands right now. Because of the weight circles and the Purina Pro Club, I only buy Purina cat food. After X number of bags, I can redeem for $6 check on future purchase.

Did I tell you I got a speeding ticket last week? I've been driving for over 38 years and have never had a moving violation. This really bites! The fine is $210. I got the ticket about 225 miles from home. They expect that I will just mail in the fine. I plan to go back and fight it. I will plead for leniency, hoping that my perfect driving record counts for something, at least once. What's the worst that can happen? I spend some money on gas and still have to pay the fine. They can't eat me!

5 comments:

Tammy said...

I don't know Vicki...they may try.

I love salisbury steak and mashed potatoes.

I agree, cooking for one can be difficult. I remember when I was young and single(20yrs ago). Sometimes I would just open a can of cream corn and call that dinner.

Maybe you can morph you leftovers into something else. Salisbury steak sandwich with sauteed onions and mushrooms. Or maybe turn it in to stroganof by cutting up and adding a little paprika, tomato paste and sour cream, put it over noodles.

Mashed potatoes can be turned into potato rolls or potato pancakes, just add egg, a little flour, and some onion.

Toss the leftover peas into some steamed rice with a little Parmesan and salt and pepper.

I hate to see someone bored with their food. If you need any suggestions just post what you're having for dinner. I check your blog whenever there is a new post.

Good Luck with those leftovers.

vickib52 said...

Thanks for the suggestions. They all sound great. My grandmother used to make potato cakes with leftover mashed potatoes. I never knew how she did it. She didn't let anything go to waste. My grandmother never prepared rice except for breakfast and she would drown it with butter and sugar. Thankfully, that was rare.
I have a couple of recipes with chicken and rice. They work out pretty well.

Unknown said...

I was able to join the Purina Pro club also, for my dogs and cats. You can't redeem until you have 250lbs though. Seems like it is taking me forever to get there!
Have you ever emailed Purina asking for coupons? I sent them a nice little complimentary email and got several coupons back for $2 off any Purina dog or cat food.

EasterFlower said...

I hate it when people give me Wal-Mart gift cards. I usually will sell them to someone at work. LOL!

vickib52 said...

I absolutely hate shopping at Wal-Mart since I saw the movie 2 or 3 years ago. They treat their employees terribly. I don't want to support that kind of thing. The only consolation is that it's my cousin's money that was spent there, not mine, when I use my GC. Yea! I found a Purina Q in today's paper. That will help a lot.