Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Little Off-Topic, But, You Know Me!

Sometimes there are things more important than coupons and deals. My dad was refused his chemo treatment this week because his blood platelets were too low. We go back next Friday to see if they've come up enough for treatment. I fear that the end is near.

My step-mother had a heart attack New Year's Eve. She is currently in the hospital and will be getting "the full treatment" on Monday, whatever that means. We don't really know right now what they are going to do then.

I was hoping to make it a few days into the new year before I spent any money at the grocery. No luck; I shopped yesterday and today for necessities. Had to have that darned cat food today. It's a big ticket item, but, even still, I'm at 74% off so far.

I haven't been eating well lately. It just seems like too much trouble. I know I need to do better. On that front, at least, I have a bit of good news. The salsa, sour cream, and seasoned taco meat all ended up being used at the same time! How's that? You know how it is when you do tacos and nachos; there's always something left over or you have to open a new something or other to finish out today's stuff. I can't believe it worked out so well. Now I can turn my attention to eating something different. I won't feel bad for letting something go bad.

I went to the flea market again this morning, but, couldn't find the "egg man." I'm thinking of maybe putting a small ad in the classifieds to find someone to trade eggs for egg cartons with me. I'm not going to spend too much money looking for someone; it wouldn't be cost effective. My local paper has a "3-line, 3-day, free" ad deal. I'm not sure what category to put it under. I checked the paper today and couldn't find a "for sale or trade" column or "barter" column. Maybe they'll make up a new one just for me!

Oh, this is cool. Yesterday, I went to Bi-Lo to pick up a couple of things that I had free Qs for. With the bag credit, they owed ME a nickel. The cashier was unruffled. He called for the cashier with the key, did his little thing, and handed me 5 cents. That, friends, is a great feeling! It's not so much the nickel, it's just that the cashier knows how to do his job and doesn't give me any grief over it.

No comments: