Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm committed to cooking dinner tonight.

I took everything out of the freezer yesterday, just to get a better idea of what I have to work with. There are a half dozen packages of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins. I have 3 "instant" dinners, those single-serve entrees. I have several packages of ground beef already cooked, just ready for spaghetti sauce. I found a package of chicken breasts already flavored with lemon pepper or something like that. I took it out yesterday and put it down in the fridge so it would thaw by this evening. I think I'll have mac & cheese to go with it (I think I have about 20 boxes of m&c), I have some green beans on the shelf, I still have some Sister Schubert's rolls in the freezer, and I have an Edwards Key Lime Cheesecake in the freezer. That bad boy is coming out today to thaw for dinner. My neighbor will eat well tonight.

A bit off-topic, but, it's still all about saving. I am going to Manchester, NH next summer for the 20th annual sweepstaker's convention. I've been entering sweeps at least that long, but, had never heard of the annual convention until a few months ago. I have to pay $160 for registration to attend, however, I had enough frequent flyer miles to get a free airline ticket, I had enough Hilton Hhonors points to get a room for a week, completely free. I am flying into Boston a few days before the convention to visit a friend. I have enough hotel points to stay in Boston the first 2 nights before I go to NH. I am leaving NH a day before I fly out. I plan to stay in a hotel near the airport that night, mostly for convenience. I have enough hotel points to do that night free, as well. I have over $75 in GC to chain restaurants, so, eating out won't cost much. My hotel is comp'ing me breakfast every morning because I am a gold VIP in their program. Other than the convention registration, the only thing I am paying "real" money for is my car rental. I will be gone for 10 days and will not spend more than $500 for everything. I guess you could call me a "points junkie." It's only natural for a "coupon junkie" to also be a "points junkie."

No comments: