Friday, December 18, 2009

How Would You View This?

Last summer, I took a lot of stockpile stuff to the flea market for several weeks and sold about $450 worth of stuff. Should I have applied that money against my grocery spending? I never really thought of it that way until now. I guess it's good that I didn't do that or else I would have been tempted to spend more money on groceries. Even though I didn't count that income against grocery spending, I'm still going to come in very near my $1,200 budget. I guess in that case it doesn't matter too much.

I doubt that I will sell anything at the flea market next year. My dad has a nice trailer that hitches to his car. He is very sick and I doubt if he will be able to do the flea market thing next year. To be honest, he won't be here next summer. I guess I could do a yard sale at my house a couple of times and see if I can unload some stockpile. The flea market just gets you so much foot traffic, all at one time and in one place.

Well, did I blow it by not using my stockpile sales towards groceries?

3 comments:

Vivacious Jewel said...

First of all, Happy Birthday!

As for your question, I guess it's all in how you look at it. Some people sell the stockpile to contribute to their budget, but if you don't think you needed it, you're completely entitled to choose where your money goes. It looks to me like you didn't need the extra $450.

Tammy said...

If the stockpile was purchased using your grocery money then it should be subtracted from money spent. I think you have done a great job this year and look forward to reading your blog next year.

vickib52 said...

Well, since I didn't think of that at the first of the year when I made my rules, it seems like changing the rules in the middle of the game to count it now. Next year, for sure I am going to count it.

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't count it against oop this year or else I would fallen deeper into the trap of the "coupon." You know that trap. The coupon sings her siren song and gets you to redeem her when you don't need the stuff!