Thursday, August 28, 2008

I blew it!

I had $10.85 left yesterday and wanted to use some really hot coupons. I've gone over budget by 37 cents. The item that pushed me over wasn't even a necessity; I had a $2 Q on Downy and since when is fabric softener a necessary item? On the other hand, when's the last time I had a $2 Q on Downy? Never.

I'm making a bit of progress in the kitchen. The chicken is in the crock pot and will be ready for supper. I have boxed potatoes by the dozens, so, that will be one side dish tonight. I have some frozen veggies and I'll add one of those to the dinner plate. Maybe this time I will remember the Sister Schubert's rolls in the toaster oven and have those, too. Remember when I heated some for dinner one night and forgot all about them?

I'm also using a new item for the first time today; the Reynolds Slow Cooker liner. When they first came out, there were some really great Qs and I bought a few boxes. I dressed my chicken with McCormick's chicken rub. That was one of those purchases in the past that occurred just because I had a great Q for it and it was BOGOF. So, finally, I am using it!

Oh, yes, I almost forgot. There will be sliced tomatoes on the menu, courtesy of my dad. The tomato season is coming to an end, but, there is still okra in the garden. Hmm, maybe I need to go visit my parents in a day or two. I'll even offer to help harvest the okra. If you've never had pan-fried okra, you are definitely not from the south. You cut the okra into bite-size pieces, coat them in cornmeal and flour, and fry in oil. I'm not saying it's a healthy dish, but, it's a mighty darn good tasting one!

No comments: