Friday, July 11, 2008

I finally used some stockpile items.

I decided to make something for dinner last night, something I hadn't done in several days. I had some chicken breast tenderloins in the freezer and, even with my limited ability to cook meat, I came up with something quite tasty. I marinaded it in a sesame ginger marinade (stockpile item), I cooked the chicken in marinade with pineapple (another stockpile item), added a bell pepper from my dad's garden, used some cornstarch to thicken the sauce, and served over a bed of rice (another stockpile item). I also made some peach puff pastry (a frozen item) for dessert. My neighbor wasn't home yesterday evening, so, I am going to take some leftovers to him today.

I'm thinking of spaghetti for supper tonight. I have the ground beef already cooked and in the freezer. I usually use Buitoni or Barilla jarred sauce. I will use any brand if I have a Q; those just happen to be the ones I've had Qs for most recently. I also have some garlic bread loaves in the freezer, so, I guess I have a meal just ready to go.

I think I reported several days ago that I had purchased some Lactaid milk and frozen it. I had read on HCW or perhaps somewhere else that milk freezes well. I'm afraid I must report that freezing Lactaid ruins it. I thawed one a couple of days ago and it had completely separated. You could have shaken the thing for a month and the milk wouldn't have mixed with the watery part. The cats wouldn't even drink it. Lesson learned. Thankfully, it was on a special price and I had a $1 Q, so, my loss is not great.

I'm still looking for a way to prepare the whole chicken in the crock pot. Perhaps I will need to cut the chicken up so that it will cook uniformly. I just don't know. I'm waiting to hear from you.

No comments: