Saturday, July 12, 2008

I made spaghetti, but, a day late.

I think I said yesterday that I was going to make spaghetti last night. Well, I got lazy and just popped a single-serve entree in the microwave. Tonight, though, I made the spaghetti sauce. I had some ground beef already cooked, just waiting in the freezer. I used a jar of sauce ( a stockpile item), used some of that minced garlic I keep in the fridge, and used a loaf of garlic bread (a freezer item). Actually, I used 1/2 of the garlic loaf. That was still too much but it's pretty hard to divide it down less than 1/2. I don't usually like to eat the same thing two nights in a row, but, Italian food is my exception. I had lasagna last night, spaghetti tonight, and I'll probably have some leftover spaghetti sauce tomorrow night, as well.

I guess I'll have to bake a loaf of bread tomorrow. I'm down to the heels from the last loaf I purchased and I don't really want to use my GC for a loaf of bread when I can make my own. The only problem with baking my own bread is that, since there are no preservatives in it, it's only good for a couple of days. I'll likely be able to make a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches with it before it's too stale to use. Then, I'll chop it up, put it in the food processor, and make bread crumbs with it. They freeze well and you always have bread crumbs on hand when a recipe calls for it. I've seen the prices of those little canisters of bread crumbs at the store. Considering that they just did what I described, it seems pretty darn expensive.

I learned something new about my cats recently; they love spaghetti. I don't mean they pick the meat out of it, I mean that they eat the spaghetti noodles. It's a funny sight. It's probably not good for them, but, I guess once in a while would be O.K.

I'm going to have to seriously take a look through some of my cookbooks for some chicken ideas. That, and meatballs, are the only meats I have in the freezer.

No comments: