Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I spent some of my rebate money today.

As most of you know, it is almost impossible for a serious couponer to turn down something free or nearly free, even if you don't think you'll ever need it. I went to Target this morning and found the ReNu contact lens solution trial sizes for.99. I had 5 $1 Qs. I also had a Q for a free bag of cat food, which I will probably need before the month is out. So, everything free, plus tax, I spent $1.06. I now have $2.90 in my pocket for groceries and my Bi-Lo GC.

I guess I'm going to have to eat a salad again today for lunch. I don't want to throw any of it out and it has a pretty short shelf life. I dress it up with cheese, tomatoes, boiled eggs, and croutons. It really is a substantial lunch once I'm finished putting everything else in it!

Here's a link someone was kind enough to pass on to me.

http://www.bigoven.com/leftoverwizard2.aspx

It's a leftover wizard. You put in some ingredients you have on hand, leftovers of some type, and this site will come up with recipes for using what you have. That's a helpful site even if you're not trying to get through a whole month without spending any money for groceries. For me, I think it's going to come in handy. I actually have my own personal leftover wizard; her name is Debbie. My best friend of nearly 40 years is a whiz in the kitchen and can make something out of virtually nothing.

I have a question to pose to my readers. I have a whole chicken in the freezer. I would like to do something simple with it, preferably in the crock pot. I don't want to make BBQ out of it. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a crock pot recipe for a whole chicken, one of your tried and true specialties? I have one of those envelope seasoning packs for the slow cooker. It's an Italian flavored something-or-other. I also have Lipton soup mixes on hand. I have every description of meat marinade. I just don't quite know where to start.

No comments: